If you missed the record-breaking talc verdict against Johnson & Johnson on August 21, a California jury awarded $417 million. Eva Echeverria, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2007, won $70 million in compensatory and $347 in punitive damages. While mass tort cases like Echeverria’s help victims get justice for their injuries, they also serve a higher purpose. Mass tort rulings help inform consumers about potential health risks from the drugs, medical devices and products they use.
Mass Tort Cases Involving Talcum Powder Settled for Nearly $1 Billion
Scientific studies first linked talcum powder to ovarian cancer in the 1970s. Since then, thousands of women alleging talc-based powders played a role in their cancer diagnosis have sued Johnson & Johnson. During the last 15 months, talc-related mass tort cases have dominated news headlines. In May, a Missouri jury ordered J&J to pay cancer victim Lois Slemp a $110.4 million talcum powder settlement. When you combine these payouts with previous mass tort cases, J&J paid $724.5 million in talc settlements since February 2016. While Echeverria’s award is the largest to date, with nearly 5,000 talcum cases pending, she likely won’t be the last. Let’s look at other recent mass tort cases bringing in multimillion-dollar settlements — and clientele for attorneys nationwide.
Pelvic Mesh Mass Tort Cases Settled for Over $2 Billion — With Thousands Still Pending
On September 7, a Philadelphia jury ordered J&J’s subsidiary company, Ethicon, to pay Ella Ebaugh a staggering $57.1 million settlement. Ebaugh, a 51-year-old Pennsylvania resident, says that the TVT-Secur and TVT pelvic mesh implants eroded, bonding permanently with her urethra. Right now, 54,800 transvaginal mesh product liability cases filed against Ethicon and J&J are still pending in courts nationwide. And Ebaugh certainly isn’t the first to win a multimillion-dollar judgment due to injuries from faulty transvaginal mesh (TVM) implants. Here’s a brief list that includes only the biggest individual pelvic mesh verdicts:
- August 7, 2017 – Endo International agrees to put aside $775 million to settle 22,000 injury claims for defective vaginal-mesh inserts.
- April 28, 2017 – A Philadelphia jury orders Johnson & Johnson to pay plaintiff Peggy Engleman, whose TVT-Secur mesh implant failed within one month of implantation, $20 million in damages.
- May 28, 2015 – Delaware jurors award Deborah Barba $25 million in compensatory and $75 million in punitive damages. Among all mass tort cases settled to date, Barba’s payout from Boston Scientific is the largest for a single plaintiff.
As pelvic mesh litigation continues, we expect to see even more payouts going forward. Our TVM infographic shows older settlements and awards by device manufacturer, date and amount.
How Firms Just Entering the Market Can Get Quality Leads for Mass Tort Cases
LeadingResponse generates 100% exclusive leads for mass tort cases using a variety of online marketing channels. Rather than relying on email list buys or third-party advertisers, we use targeted online marketing campaigns to attract qualified clientele. We also use multi-channel methods to screen leads for quality and exclude prospects that don’t meet our clients’ exacting criteria.
Mass tort leads also sign up through our drug and device injury news website, DrugJustice.com. We constantly update the site with news, studies and court rulings using only the most reliable sources and medical journals. By providing visitors with crucial information, we entice mass tort leads to submit a free claim evaluation form. Those forms include your firm’s screening preferences to ensure we deliver leads that are more likely to convert into retainers.
Optional Services Make the Lead Intake Process Easier Than Ever Before
If you’re just entering the mass tort market or looking to generate clientele as quickly as possible, partner with LeadingResponse. With more than two decades in the lead generation industry, we deliver one million qualified leads annually to our clients. To ensure quality remains high regardless of volume, we offer these add-on services:
- Our 100% free Lead Management System (LMS) software helps streamline your lead intake process. Using the LMS is completely optional — but clients who do enjoy significantly higher conversion and retention rates. And if you do opt into using our LMS, you’ll enjoy personalized customer service from a dedicated account manager.
- US-based call center staff available to work your outbound marketing calls 24/7. If you’ve got better things to do than cold-calling prospects, our call center staff currently boasts a 70% contact rate. Even more importantly, we typically make that first call within 6-7 minutes after each prospect completes our claim evaluation form. That’s because contacting mass tort leads immediately makes them much more likely to convert into retainers.
If you’re interested in getting mass tort leads delivered that are exclusively yours to close on, contact us today.